- API Application Programming Interface is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. Basically, an API specifies how software components should interact. A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing all the building blocks. A developer then puts the blocks together. hoteliga is using the APIs of OTAs and Payment Gateways to integrate with them. Also, hoteliga has developed its own API so that its customers can develop custom solutions and integrations.
- Channel manager is the tool with which someone can do channel management. See "Channel management".
- Channel management in the hotel industry is the planning of room availability and room rates. To avoid overbookings, the inventory of a hotel or other property needs to be continually updated across all of the distribution channels they may use including direct online bookings, travel wholesalers, and OTAs to name a few.
- Cloud computing is a computing-infrastructure and software model for enabling access to shared pools of configurable resources (such as computer networks, servers, storage, applications and services) which can be rapidly provisioned with minimal management effort, often over the Internet ("the cloud"). Cloud computing allows companies to avoid or minimize up-front infrastructure costs. As well, third-party clouds enable organizations to focus on their core businesses instead of expending resources on computer infrastructure and maintenance. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
- CRM stands for Customer Relationship Management.
- Extranet in the e-travel industry is usually the private web application that OTAs provide to property owners so that they can manage their room types, rates, allotment, availability, restrictions and promotions.
- IBE is Internet Booking Engine, otherwise simply booking engine.
- ISP is Internet Service Provider, a company that provides individuals and other companies access to the Internet and other related services such as Web site building and hosting. An ISP has the equipment and the telecommunication line access required to have a point-of-presence on the Internet for the geographic area served.
- NR Usually stands for "Non-Refundable" (rate).
- OTA Online Travel Agent. For example, booking.com and Expedia.
- Overbooking is the situation, where one or more room nights are assigned to more than one reservation. That practically means that the same room would be shared by different customers for some days, which is of course impossible. Having overbookings in general, could be a hotel's practice. hoteliga by design allows overbookings to allow experienced users to do the management as they find best. However, hoteliga will display a warning within the reservation window as well as in the home page, advising the user to take action.
- Parity the need or requirement to have a uniformity of rates through all the channels in which the property is present. It is also a way to seem more reliable at consumers’ eyes.
- Payment Gateway is a merchant service provided by an e-commerce application service provider that authorizes credit card or direct payments processing for e-businesses, online retailers, etc. The payment gateway may be provided by a bank to its customers (in hoteliga case Alpha Bank [GR], Eurobank [GR] or Redsys [ES]), but can be provided by a specialized financial service provider as a separate service, such as a payment service provider (in hoteliga case Braintree Payments).
- PCI stands for Payment Card Industry. It consists of all the organizations which store, process and transmit cardholder data, most notably for debit cards and credit cards. The security standards are developed by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council which develops the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) used throughout the industry. More information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_card_industry
- PCI DSS is PCI Data Security Standard, an information security standard for organizations that handle branded credit cards from the major card schemes. More information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Card_Industry_Data_Security_Standard
- PMS is Property Management System.
- SaaS see "Software as a Service".
- Software as a Service (SaaS) is a software licensing and delivery model in which software is licensed on a subscription basis and is centrally hosted. SaaS is typically accessed by users using a web browser. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_service
- The cloud see "Cloud Computing".
- XML eXtensible Markup Language. It is a markup language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable through use of tags that can be created and defined by users. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML